Wednesday 24 April 2013

Kissing joy as it flies...

We were all packed up and ready to go to home-ed group yesterday morning. It was a beautiful, warm sunny day and as we got outside the boys all said "We want to go to the beach!" I knew some friends were heading there, so we grabbed a bag of toys and went along to join them!

When I first started to consider learning without school as an option for our family there was a William Blake poem that kept playing in my head:

He who binds to himself a joy

Does the winged life destroy;

He who kisses the joy as it flies

Lives in eternity's sunrise

Life feels good when we're able to go with the flow and enjoy each day for whatever it has to offer, without binding ourselves to an idea about how things will go. I realised a while ago that learning from home would give us a wonderful chance to kiss joy as it flies; yesterday joy for the boys was flying to the beach, and so despite our plans, that's where we went to kiss it!

The boys don't know this poem yet, and I've yet to talk to them about William Blake! No doubt one day I will, when I talk about the things that inspired me to embark on this journey. For now they can simply feel it!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment