Thursday 6 September 2012

Feeling it!

I took this picture last week when there were strong winds and a high tide. We walked along the coast, got covered in sea spray, saw rainbows on the promenade as the sea splashed over it, watched some boys clinging to the railings allowing the sea to crash into them...and ate ice-cream of course!

I love the picture, Joseph really enjoys the feeling of the wind in his hair and face. We talk a lot about how things work and what they do, but how things feel is really important to us too. What better way to learn about the weather than to stand in it and feel it! In many ways it's the things the boys feel first that they are more interest in knowing the 'how's' and 'why's' of; the feeling (physical, emotional or spiritual) often prompts questions, and natural scientific enquiry begins.

I love the quote from 'Winnie the Pooh'....

Piglet: "How do you spell love?"

Pooh: "You don't spell it, you feel it"

I can think of so many questions I didn't ask because I didn't allow myself to feel something. Not any more, feeling is a huge part of the learning environment I hope to nurture here :-)



No comments:

Post a Comment